Skip to main content

Book talk - Review of Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover


Alright, deep breaths guys... I'm really not quite sure where to begin with this.  First, I'd like to thank Colleen once again for sharing her talent with us; her very faithful readers. 

Secondly, I think it's most impressive that there has not been one single book of hers that I didn't like. I mean, not one, not even close and I think that is quite something. I'd say I'm quite a tough cookie to break and certainly have quite high standards when it comes to literature in general. Long story short; I'm quite hard to please. Colleen however has found a way to waltz right through that tough exterior and hits the target every time.  

If I'm totally honest with you, I have the strangest feeling Colleen is actually a Witch. Like, a fully fledged magical being with the most wonderful imagination. So if you're reading this right now and you're thinking, ''heck, what is this chick on about... magic isn't real...''

 I urge you to pick up one of her books, (it doesn't matter which one because, to me, they're all equally brilliant) have a relaxing bath, open up the vino and just get down to reading. Trust me, you'll see what I mean. 

Maybe Someday is a wonderful example because its so different to her previous stories. I've never quite read a book where the main character is deaf, so I really did not know what to expect. I didn't really know how she'd go about it. I mean, how does one work that? Dialogue wise?  

One of the things I love about Colleen's writing is that she keeps on challenging herself and that is what keeps her ideas fresh and compelling. She's not afraid to really push the boundaries.  

To give you a brief overview, MS is about college student Sydney who has to find out that her best friend and her long time boyfriend have a little thing going on behind her back. 

Sounds quite generic so far, but don't fret. It gets so much better. 

Enter witty musician Ridge Lawson. He's fun, charming and very talented. The only down-sight; Ridge is deaf. Long story short, the two of them become friendly and Sydney starts helping out with his song writing. After the whole thing with her now ex-boyfriend, Sydney moves into the spare room in Ridge's apartment where were introduced to two other fun chaps.  

The idea was just so refreshingly original and I loved how Colleen played it out. I actually can't think of a single book to compare it with and that alone is crazy. Its a book that keeps you on your toes. It shows you that love is unpredictable and can happen in the strangest ways. Best of all, it will keep you guessing till the very last page.  

I absolutely loved the way Ridge and Sydney interacted. Watching their romance blossom was absolutely marvellous. The slow build up was wonderfully executed and deserves all the awards if you ask me. Still get goosebumps when I think about certain chapters. 
Colleen never rushes things, nor does she overcomplicate her characters lives. What you see is what you get and that is exactly what makes her books so powerful. 

Without going into too much detail, I must say Maybe Someday might be my favourite out of CoHo's array of wonder works, purely because it has the perfect amount of laugh-out-loud moments and hair-gripping-heartache.

The ending was rather sensational and in true COHO style.  I mean, don't get me wrong, finishing this book was painful and I would've loved to just keep on reading forever, but hey. Guess you can't have everything... 

Once again, give it up for COHO for delivering yet another masterpiece. 

I'm awarding it 5 out of 5 stars. 



Popular posts from this blog

Book talk - Seven Exes by Lucy Vine

  *Free copy received from publisher S even Exes. Seven Missed Chances. Who was the one who got away? Esther is nearing thirty, with a great job and a flat she shares with her two best friends, Bibi and Louise. But her life is missing that special someone.  Tired of being single and sick of bad date after bad date, she thinks she’s found the answer to her romance problem in an old women's magazine. According to the magazine’s dating column, there are seven archetypes a woman will date before finding Mr. Right. It all seems silly at first, until Esther realizes she has exactly seven exes that match the The First Love, The Work Mistake, The Overlap, The Friend with Benefits, The Missed Chance, The Bastard, and The Serious One. Is it so hard to believe that perhaps one of them is The One?  Deciding she must have left her true love in the reject pile, Esther contacts each of her old boyfriends. But finding her soulmate isn’t as simple as she hoped it would be. Madness, mayhem, laughs,

Book talk - Review of This Charming Man By C.K. McDonnell

  V ampires do not exist. Everyone knows this. So it's particularly annoying when they start popping up around Manchester . Nobody is pleased about it. Not the Founders, the secret organisation for whom vampires were invented as an allegory, nor the Folk, the magical people hidden in plain sight who only want a quiet life. And definitely not the people of Manchester, because there is nothing more irksome than being murdered by an allegory run amok. Somebody needs to sort this out fast before all Hell really breaks loose - step forward the staff of The Stranger Times. It's not like they don't have enough to be dealing with. Assistant Editor Hannah has come back from getting messily divorced to discover that someone is trying to kidnap a member of their staff and while editor Vincent Banecroft would be delighted to see the back of any of his team, he doesn't like people touching his stuff - it's the principle of the thing. Throw in a precarious plumbing situation, gam

C.J Daugherty's ENDGAME (Night School #5) June 4th 2015 by Little Brown/Atom (UK)

BOW down to the QUEEN of  Young-adult suspense    Just 8 days and we'll finally have all the answers... 8 days until it all ends. Are you ready to let go? With only days left until the release of the final instalment in the Night School Series, I'm both excited and sad to see the series end.